3 Signs You Need a Career Change
In recent times, I have been getting a lot of questions about how do you know when its time to make a change in your life. People generally want to know how they can be sure that it is the right time to pivot and make shifts in their careers. I personally was in the Marine Corps for eight years and I thought that I was going to be a lifer. I was planning at least 20 years in service.
But circumstances change in your life. The next thing I knew, I had a family, I had kids, and I figured out that I don’t want to be away from those I cared about. So, I decided to make shifts in my thought process of how I make money. So, to help you do the same, I am going to talk about a few considerations you should make while contemplating a career change.
These are 3 signs that you might need to change your career:
1. If you are overwhelmed, overworked, and yet underpaid.
2. The uncertainty of the job market or the instability of your current business.
3. If you have become physically unhealthy, mentally unstable, and emotionally distant.
Here’s some data that may hint towards why one might feel this way:
1. In the second quarter of 2020, the US saw a huge drop of 32.9% in GDP. This has literally never happened before. Due to the pandemic, the economic activity in the country (and around the world) has plummeted. Naturally, this is bound to cause anxiety and depression in people as they face an uncertain future.
2. About 54 million people filed for unemployment in the US. This is about one-third of the country’s working-class! Again, this has never happened before in the history of this country.
3. The age group that has been affected the most is 16-34. So, as there are no workers, there are no customers and vice-versa.
4. Also, the hardest-hit industry is the leisure and hospitality industry. Similarly, other major industries that produce many jobs have been hurt really bad.
If you’re looking for an industry that has been the least-hit by the pandemic, it is the financial services industry. Why is that? Because it’s considered an essential service by the government, it can be done in the convenience and safety of one’s home or office, and more! In fact, 80 million people are now considering life insurance policies due to the pandemic.
As there is increased demand in this industry, it is also where people are focusing more for career opportunities. Whatever you might be doing right now, if you are experiencing signs that I mentioned above, you might need to take a look at this industry. It might be scary to leave what you’re doing right now and make a change. But if you think logically, and go over the facts of your life and the world in general, you will be able to make the right decision for yourself and your family.